Recipe: Frijolitos (Refried Beans)
Summary: You will never buy canned again!
- 1 pound dried black beans (preferably Goya)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 20 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Canola oil
- Rinse beans in a colander and pick out any foreign objects.
- Heat 3 tbs of oil in a dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium low until shimmering, then add 1/3 cup of onion.
- When onion starts to brown around the edges add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beans, water, and salt. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours until beans are tender, semi covered, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bay leaves and let the beans cool overnight with lid of the pot ajar. Next day divide beans and liquid into 2 batches (about 4 cups of liquid and 2 cups of beans in each batch). Add one batch of beans and liquid to a blender and puree until smooth.
- When ready to use, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy nonstick deep skillet over medium heat.
- When oil begins to shimmer add 1/3 cup onion to the pan and sauté until tender about 8 minutes, using a wooden spoon*.
- Add 1 batch of bean puree to pan and simmer over medium low heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. While simmering stir the bean puree often, scraping the dried bits off the side of the pan back in to the beans.
- Every 15 minutes or so you will need to add 3 tbs of oil to the pan and stir in.
- When beans begin to pull away from the edge of the pan they are almost done. Add one more round of oil to help the beans come together in a roll in the middle of the pan.
- If there is any sticking at all they are not done yet and keep cooking. Once the beans do not stick at all, flip them out onto a plate or storage container. Voila refried beans!!!!
* Use a wooden spoon you do not mind getting stained, as the beans will eventually darken it to an almost black color. This spoon will from then on be known as the frijolito spoon! You can store the other batch of bean puree for up to 2 days before you cook it.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 4 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12